Our ability to smell is often an overlooked sense. However, aroma can be a powerful instrument in children’s development and learning.
Essentially Holistic works with a variety of safe essential oils to produce blends with different effects to create stimulating or creative environments. We will work with you to understand your situation and formulate a blend to help you achieve your desired effect.
The benefits of aromatherapy include:
- Giving stimulation – helping children to focus and concentrate when working generally in class or concentrating on specific areas
- Helping to overcome shyness, timidity and problems mixing with other children
- Assisting home life – helping to improve sleep and behaviour and managing emotional changes and situational upheavals
- Managing behaviour – especially in aggressive, hyperactive and special conditions such as autism, ADHD and additional needs children
- Aromatherapy can be used alongside TACPAC for children with sensory or neurological impairment, developmental delay, profound and multiple learning difficulties, tactile defensiveness, and limited or pre-verbal communication.
How aromatherapy works
- It provides a familiar smell for children to recognise
- Smells define different learning situations or experiences
- Makes a calming and safe environment in which to learn
- Gives a focus and stimulation to children as required
The ways aromatherapy can be used with children
Aromatherapy can be used with an individual child or a group of children using an Aromastream machine to send the specially formulated blend of essential oils into the surrounding air.
Aroma bottles & blends allow children to use their blend regularly and consistently at home and at school. One of the ways these are developed is to incorporate aromatherapy into a session on emotional wellbeing – e.g. discussing wish setting, positive steps, emotional learning, what makes them happy what makes them sad. The children then make a ‘happy’ smell in an aroma bottle to take home.